Do you know why the roof is considered one of the most importantstructural elements of any structure? Because the condition of the entire building and the comfort inside it depend on its serviceability. If the roof leaks - the roof will leak, and this will lead to the unsuitability of housing. It is not better if streams from the ceiling start to run intechnical room - the owners of comfort and peace, but also the risk of damage to the contents of the room (cans with preservation, antique furniture, car, or whatever you keep there). Therefore, the repair of the roof of the garage, shed, bath - the same important thing as the repair of the roof of the roof of a residential house.
No matter what kind of roof you are repairing, it is important how. Usually, for such a “simple” business, the brigade is not hired, but coped with the problem in splendid isolation or asked for the help of one or two friends.
But if you have a pronounced fear of heights, we do not recommend climbing the roof: let it be a one-story house, even if it is not too high.
Work in comfortable clothes and shoes
Here are some rules for beginners, high-altitude workers:
repair the roofing only in suitable for work at height weather: windless and dry;
work in comfortable clothes and shoes;
work will move faster and more confidently with a reliable assistant who can at least hold the ladder and deliver the tools;
and about the stairs - in order not to fall from it, rise along its middle part.
How to identify the place of flow
If the beginning of the flow in one place - this is truea sign that may soon flow in another or in several. Therefore, it will be logical to conduct an objective audit of the entire roof, identify major and minor defects, stock up with enough material and patience, and get to work.
Experienced roofers claim (yes it isnon-professionals understand that the repair of a flat roof is much easier, faster and safer. And the "hole" on a flat surface to identify faster. Therefore envy, comrades, everyone who has a flat roof - it is easier for them during the repair period.
Repairing a flat roof is much easier, faster and safer.
Whatever the roof, in the case of its leakage,repair is necessary, otherwise you can bring the situation to the fact that the house can not be. Therefore, the first thing to start with is to find out the cause and location of the leak.
- Carefully inspect the attic: assess the condition in which the rafters and waterproofing are located (maybe the material has moved or was originally laid without overlapping).
- Identify raw places - there it flows.
- Check the surface of the roof for mold and rot.
- Begin external inspection with a skate: evaluate its strength, integrity and quality of waterproofing.
- Inspect the surface of the roof - it is important that there were no holes, irregularities, bubbles and everything that is unusual for a high-quality coating.
- Pay attention not only to the condition of the material, but also to the density of its adherence to the elements of the roof structure (pipe, ridge, ventilation system).
Only after a detailed inspection you can doa conclusion about the upcoming expenses and how much work you have to do: the maintenance of the roof is a problem that can be solved much faster and cheaper; you can cope with it alone. Worse, if the roof requires a thorough overhaul.
The first thing to start with is to find out the cause and location of the leak.
Soft roof, possible problems and repair technology
Weeping ceilings - the eternal problemapartment buildings. Residents of the upper floors suffer more than others, and since the water is capable of making its way stubbornly and powerfully, not only the inhabitants of the latter, but also the two or three penultimate floors turn out to be in a puddle.
What is the reason for the destruction of roofs of soft materials?
At high temperature conditions (in summerperiod) roll materials are subject to intense heat and swelling. Water vapor exerts an incredibly strong pressure on the pores of the material, which sometimes reaches 2m / m2. It is unlikely that such material will withstand such an onslaught, so it stratifies, creating cavities. Possible and option mechanical damage.
A soft roof can lose itswaterproofing properties and due to improper location of sewer risers and exhaust pipes - if you violate the technology of their installation, and expect that the insulation is saturated with condensate and there will be a significant deterioration of its heat and waterproofing.
If to describe the technology of repairing a roof from rolled materials in a simple way, then this is repairing damage and eliminating visible defects.
If the roof is damaged, then the best way is to replace it with a new one.
With the elimination of minor damage under the forceCope and one person, not necessarily a specialist. And if the roof is leaking badly, a major overhaul of a soft roof is needed, which cannot be done alone.
At the current repair, they replace the damaged area of the coating, after cleaning the hole and filling it with bitumen.
If the ruberoid is swollen, they make on the bubblecross-shaped incision, unbend it in different directions, clean the base, dry and send into place, smearing the incisions with mastic. Put a patch on top of the cut.
If the roof is damaged, then the best way out isreplace it with a new one. But not always and not everyone has the means. Here, again, I want to touch on the problem of leakage of roofs in high-rise buildings - the coating there is still Soviet, battered, patched and overlaid. And if there is no money in the housing office, then the roof is beyond repair. Is it possible in this case to somehow fight for the lack of flows from above?
If your housing maintenance committee is onlyand knows how to shrug and tell that, as always, you don’t save your roof overhaul; save yourself: evaluate the nature and amount of damage, it may well turn out that you will defeat them at low cost.
- The carpet was covered with many small cracks. In this case, the coating must be cut, removed, dried. Clean the base. Cracks need to caulk - fill with hot mastic with a chuck, smooth and smooth out on the surface - a must! If it is possible to impose patches - put them on the areas where the cracks are most.
- Damage to the shelter in some areas (not through). The essence of the repair is to clean the damaged area, get rid of the remnants of the old mastic and putty again.
- End-to-end damage (when through a hole in the roofsee the base). They are repaired in much the same way as in the case of swelling of a carpet: a section of the damaged section with a cross, the use of hot mastic, the covering of a hole with a patch or several.
Repair of the roof of rolled materials - the mostuncomplicated and accessible to any resident of a high-rise building who already has no strength to beg the housing department for attention and participation. The owner of the leaking garage will cope with this type of work for “one - two - three” - usually the roofs of such structures are made flat and covered with roofing material.
Weld roofs from modern materials
About sore (about old forever leaking roofs)have talked. Now you should pay a little attention to modern soft coatings, which have successfully replaced the good old and fragile roofing material. Do they leak?
And how! Each builder will confirm to you the frailty of matter, whether it is made by the newest technologies. And the technology of elimination of defects and defects is old. Repair of the weld roof (asbestos, fiberglass or polymer - no difference) is carried out in the traditional way: they cut the surface, clean the base, heat the damaged area for the weld. Put the patch.
Repair of the roof of the roll materials - the most simple and accessible to any resident high-rise buildings
Fashionable tiles ... failed
Well, maybe it did not fail - it cracked, crumbled, parted ... Anything happens to the roof.
It cannot be crumbled, but it creeps, corrosion corrodes it, sheets may be initially incorrectly fixed.
Partial repair of a tile roof is no more difficult than repair of a roll roof:
scratches - the most, at first glance, minor damage, but it must be repaired in a matter of urgency, otherwise the plate will not live for long - rusting; elimination method - painting;
gaps between metal and gutter elements fill with silicone sealant;
through the hole eliminated with a soldering iron and patches, but if there are many holes, you must replace the damaged sheets;
loosened fasteners are more logical not to tighten more firmly, but to replace worn elements (washers and fasteners);
installation and repair of the roof in some casesbecome interdependent concepts - this is when, due to poor installation, repairs have to be done immediately after the first rain. But here you can find a quick and budget solution: leaking the seams are corrected with self-adhesive tapes.
Partial repair of a tile roof is nothing more difficult than repair of a roll roof
Roofing material is beautiful for its versatility and ease of repair. Cracked tiles can simply be glued together, and it will serve for some time.
Remove the damaged elements of the roof, slightly prying them crowbar. In their place put new tiles, greasing each with glue.
To guaranteed rid yourself ofoverhaul for several years, mounting the roof of shingles, glue all the edges of the adjacent sheets, and use nails as an attachment.
Cement - sand tile
The classic version of the roof and one of the mostelegant and environmentally friendly. Disadvantages: cracked. Cracks can be small and not very noticeable visually. The most vulnerable places: joints with pipes and antennas, cement chips can form here.
Eliminate the flow by scraping the old cement and laying in its place a fresh layer.
The most vulnerable places of cement-sand tiles are joints with pipes and antennas.
Repair slate roofs have to do more often, because the material is very fragile. The cracking of sheets, their slipping from fastenings are common cases when the roof requires urgent rescue.
- When replacing slate slabs, remove all nails tothey did not interfere with the repair - the new plate is not fixed with nails. At the site of the deformed slab, nail the lead strip to the rail through the joint of the lower row of the coating. She will keep slate sheet.
- Cracks and chips on the slate are eliminated withsand cement mortar. Requirements to materials: take fine sand, observe the ratio of sand and cement 2/1. Before processing, clean the roof of debris, then - wash the surface with water from a hose. When the roof is dry, repairs can be considered complete.
- The tightness of the slate roof is restored with an adhesive rubber tape, but this cannot be called a repair either, this is a temporary measure.
- If you notice that slate roofing has begun“Knock”, check how firmly the fastening sheets hold — that is, the nails. It is possible that they have already served their time, and it is time to replace them with new ones or fix them with self-tapping screws.
The tightness of the slate roof is restored using adhesive rubber tape
Completion of any repair
Complete the repair by cleaning the roof - eliminate allrepair debris, carry out prevention of waterproofing around pipes and antennas, using roofing glue and refresh the color of your roof - there are a lot of different paints on sale.